Search similar:

uniqs
n00bicals3
join:2006-01-18
Carleton Place, ON

3 edits

n00bicals3

using torrent on bell, port 80/21 success

ok im at my parents house for the weekend and i am just testing the connection. i was curious to see that someone else had some success with ports 21 and 80. so i had a go. im using the latest utorrent 1.8 beta. the results are that im getting 25KB/s down on completely disabled encryption, random port, DHT disabled. with encryption forced, DHT off, random port, i was maxing at 70KB/s. with encryption forced, port 80, DHT disabled i was averaging 300KB/s. this is at 11pm. So its working, and im testing port 21 with DHT disabled, and forced encryption now. the max speed on the connection is about 420KB/S.

im also using a private tracker, and an update on the port 21, seems to like it, 340-380KB/s. unfortunately it varies more than id like, but its doing very well.

id also like to point out that i have 84 connected seeds out of a potential 3862 and 1 peer connected out of 416

update: went back to port 80, i guess i didnt leave it long enough... its holding the same speeds as port 21.

We have a winner!!!

nanostuff
@d-ip.magma.ca

nanostuff

Anon

Sorry to disappoint you, but the success is only in your imagination. Their throttling system doesn't take into account traffic ports. It detects traffic signatures and encryption, regardless of port.

Probably the reason you think you're free is because the shaping threshold varies substantially over a short period of time, and on top of this download rate also changes greatly over short periods of time due to swapping of clients.

The most reliable way to determine the level of shaping is to judge by upload speed. If you have torrents with a large number of peers, upload speed will always be the highest possible and very consistent if it's capped slightly below maximum transfer rate. If you track the upstream over time, you will see however that it's not consistent and often crawls at single digit values. That's shaping at work.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Also, the DPI boxes most likely "learn" patterns as well. So if more people start doing this, the chances are this method will be obsolete real soon.

Oh, and don't forget, people from Bell frequent this forum. ;p

gurn
@rogers.com

gurn to n00bicals3

Anon

to n00bicals3
would a program that changes the port you use every few seconds help in any way?

ShadPTR
join:2008-01-23
Whitby, ON

ShadPTR to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Also, the DPI boxes most likely "learn" patterns as well. So if more people start doing this, the chances are this method will be obsolete real soon.

Poor poor sympatico users.

nanostuff
@d-ip.magma.ca

nanostuff to n00bicals3

Anon

to n00bicals3
This is going to get really funny when you realize every DSL provider is being throttled by Bell, including yours.

anonnotreally
@161.216.58.x

anonnotreally

Anon

said by nanostuff :

This is going to get really funny when you realize every DSL provider is being throttled by Bell, including yours.
It's not just DSL but the whole industry Cable and Wireless are being shaped too. The industry as a whole has decided to run the added fee for use gaunlet.
munky99999
Munky
join:2004-04-10
canada

munky99999 to n00bicals3

to n00bicals3
Sorry to disappoint you, but the success is only in your imagination.
Having bittorent speeds well over 30kb/s is not something that is imaginary.

The most reliable way to determine the level of shaping is to judge by upload speed. If you have torrents with a large number of peers, upload speed will always be the highest possible and very consistent if it's capped slightly below maximum transfer rate. If you track the upstream over time, you will see however that it's not consistent and often crawls at single digit values. That's shaping at work.
no.

Also, the DPI boxes most likely "learn" patterns as well.
Most likely?

Openning all packets on 80 or 21 will certainly cause slowdowns for non-p2p actions... Wanna check the news? Nope you'll be lagged down... wanna encrypt you port 80 to make an amazon.ca order... nope denied. Now you wanna unencrypt so you can order? Bell is now opening your packets looking at your information.

would a program that changes the port you use every few seconds help in any way?
No. It'd make it impossible to do.

root9
join:2005-04-08
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

root9

Actually I find that Bell is letting uplds go as fast as you like and throttling dwlds drastically, to non-usable. This taxes the user uplds to such extent that they pay for peers bandwidth. At end of month you get screwed.

I'm using »www.p2pnet.net/story/15497 to get all info needed as well as my situation and charging the suckers under Canadian laws!

And I suggest ALL Canadian users from ALL ISP's and all businesses do the same since Bell, Rogers and Verizon have declared WAR on us.