spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ShockWave77
join:2002-11-09
Tyler, TX

ShockWave77

Centrino Laptop Radeon 9700 - Games Run too FAST

Just bought a sony vaio VGNA290, centrino 1.7, 100 gig HD, 1 gig ram, mobile radeon 9700. This thing is awesome, but I'm having ONE problem, and I have a feeling it has to do with either the centrino or the ATI drivers.

I got this laptop, formatted it, and installed XP pro clean, plus all drivers a few sony utilities I needed. Now heres the problem: some games run EXTREMELY FAST. And I dont mean they just run good. I mean the speed of the game is literally TOO FAST. I move 3 or 4 times faster than normal, etc. Evertyhing is sped up. THe ones I"ve discovered that do this so far are Splinter Cell and Unreal Tournament (the first one). UT2K4, call of duty, Unreal 2 all run fine.

Can someone give me an idea of whats going on, or direct me to a place that does?

BTW I'm using the latest mobile radeon drivers from sony's site for my laptop.

The Flash
Premium Member
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON

The Flash

Premium Member

Which directx are you using?
ShockWave77
Tyler, TX

ShockWave77

Re: Centrino Laptop Radeon 9700 - Games Run too FA

I am using the latest DX 9.0c

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
MVM
join:2003-02-18
San Jose, CA

Nerdtalker to ShockWave77

MVM

to ShockWave77

Re: Centrino Laptop Radeon 9700 - Games Run too FAST

I'd try some 3rd party drivers for the laptop, specifically the Omega drivers.

Other than that, you could try the Laptop forum here: »Road Warriors, Notebooks & Distance

I only know the intricacies of Nvidia mobile cards.

preskool69
join:2003-03-07
Tulsa, OK

1 edit

preskool69 to ShockWave77

to ShockWave77
said by ShockWave77:

Just bought a sony vaio VGNA290, centrino 1.7, 100 gig HD, 1 gig ram, mobile radeon 9700. This thing is awesome, but I'm having ONE problem, and I have a feeling it has to do with either the centrino or the ATI drivers.

I got this laptop, formatted it, and installed XP pro clean, plus all drivers a few sony utilities I needed. Now heres the problem: some games run EXTREMELY FAST. And I dont mean they just run good. I mean the speed of the game is literally TOO FAST. I move 3 or 4 times faster than normal, etc. Evertyhing is sped up. THe ones I"ve discovered that do this so far are Splinter Cell and Unreal Tournament (the first one). UT2K4, call of duty, Unreal 2 all run fine.

Can someone give me an idea of whats going on, or direct me to a place that does?

BTW I'm using the latest mobile radeon drivers from sony's site for my laptop.
You say its running too fast , but are you seeing any ghosting or visual tearing????? The reason why I ask this is b/c LCD's refresh rate is set at 60hz. Now to my knowledge ALL LCD's on Labtops are always set at 60hz. Even if you had vsync turned off it wouldn't really matter b/c the LCD is always set at 60hz which means your always seeing 60FPS or a little less. Now if it were to go over 60 FPS then the screen would look like its tearing, hence visual tearing.

pgorley
Shray Is My Mother
join:2003-04-30
New Castle, PA

pgorley

The reason why I ask this is b/c LCD's refresh rate is set at 60hz. Now to my knowledge ALL LCD's on Labtops are always set at 60hz. Even if you had vsync turned off it wouldn't really matter b/c the LCD is always set at 60hz which means your always seeing 60FPS or a little less
NOT ALL LCDS RUN AT 60Hz, MORON.
»www.newegg.com/app/ViewP ··· 7&depa=1

BA
MVM
join:2001-05-24
Vancouver, BC

BA to ShockWave77

MVM

to ShockWave77

I've had a similar problem before.

Set your power scheme to "Always On" before loading the game. That will peg the processor at maximum frequency.

It seems that some games determine the frequency of the processor during loading and then somehow base the game speed on that frequency. When the game is loading, the processor is at say, 500 MHz. Mobile processors dynamically adjust their frequency based on app load. Hence, when the user is playing the game, frequency shoots up to max and game play becomes ultra-fast.

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium Member
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA

sapo to pgorley

Premium Member

to pgorley

said by pgorley:
The reason why I ask this is b/c LCD's refresh rate is set at 60hz. Now to my knowledge ALL LCD's on Labtops are always set at 60hz. Even if you had vsync turned off it wouldn't really matter b/c the LCD is always set at 60hz which means your always seeing 60FPS or a little less
That's not a laptop LCD... nor am I agreeing that all laptop LCDs are at 60hz. (I don't know)

preskool69
join:2003-03-07
Tulsa, OK

1 edit

preskool69 to pgorley

to pgorley
said by pgorley:
You might want to read the post thoroughly before you post b/c if you were reading I was talkiing about LABTOP LCD's!!!!!

pgorley
Shray Is My Mother
join:2003-04-30
New Castle, PA

pgorley

said by preskool69:
said by pgorley:
You might want to read the post thoroughly before you post b/c if you were reading I was talkiing about LABTOP LCD's DUMBASS!!!!!
Hey dude, there's this thing...it's called "SPELLCHECK." Use it, because I, for one, have never heard of the word "LABTOP." Have a nice day.

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

How about you both chill? Not EVER a reason for namecalling here at BBR, and cheap shots aren't real welcome either.

The penalty box is empty ... how about you two help me keep it that way?
ShockWave77
Tyler, TX

ShockWave77

Alright guys, I fixed it. It had to do with the adaptive mode of the centrino where it changed speeds according to what the load of the cpu was. If that is on, the game runs full blast. If its on performance mode (1.7ghz all the time) it runs fine.
conreb
join:2004-12-17
Oxford, MS

conreb

I am having the same problem like you. I have Pentium M processor 1.6 Ghz. My games run too fast. You said that when you changed the "adaptive mode", it solved the problem. Can you tell me how did you do that. I appreciate that. Thanks

JaCe_Jai
@bigpond.net.au

JaCe_Jai to ShockWave77

Anon

to ShockWave77
Thanks for the solution- to change the power mode you need to use the POWER applet in Control Panel and then select the power scheme "Always On"- if you have the battery icon on your task bar you can just left click it once and then select a scheme from there.

gratefulbrit
@lns1-c8.dsl.pol.co.u

gratefulbrit to ShockWave77

Anon

to ShockWave77

Thanks v much for your help here - I thought I was going mad!!!